Are you a new student at the University of California? Perhaps you’re a returning student. Have you decided to seek out your mental health care options under the UC SHIP program? Let us help you take the first step toward mental health treatment. We’ll cover what you should know about mental health care benefits under UC SHIP. We’ll also explore convenient alternatives if you’re not covered under UC SHIP.
What should students know about the University of California’s Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)?
Each student should be aware of a few facets of the University of California’s Student Health Insurance Pan. Whether you’re looking to become a new member or you’re an existing member who wants to know more about your benefits, you can learn more here:
- It provides access to mental health care services — UC SHIP does provide mental health care to students. The University of California uses a service called Lyra to give students access to those services. Lyra provides members of UC SHIP with quick access to therapists and mental health coaches 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Students can meet with a counselor for help with their mental health disorder or for help managing stress and other mental health concerns.
- It provides both inpatient and outpatient mental health care services — UC SHIP provides UC students with access to inpatient and outpatient care for those experiencing mental health disorders and substance use disorders.
- It provides more than just mental health care services — The University of California’s SHIP program can provide students with more than just mental health care. It also provides access to service, including medical care, pharmacy benefits, optometry benefits, and vision benefits.
Where can students get mental health care treatment if UC SHIP does not cover them?
Not everyone at the University of California has Student Health Insurance Plan coverage. Other options exist for those who aren’t covered under UC SHIP. One alternative for students needing mental health treatment is Lightfully Behavioral Health’s Lightfully U program.
Lightfully U is a virtual intensive outpatient program (vIOP) specifically for college students. Here’s what else you should know about the benefits of Lightfully’s vIOP:
- It provides convenient treatment — For the busy college student at UC, making it to in-person treatment sessions doesn’t always fit well into a packed schedule. Wait times in offices and driving to and from office locations can steal precious minutes that could be spent studying, eating, and even resting in between classes and other activities. Intensive outpatient treatment programs are a big-time commitment for the average student, especially in person. That’s where virtual intensive outpatient programs come in. They save time waiting and driving and can be performed from your bedroom. vIOP treatment is a convenient option for most students. If you’re not covered under UC SHIP, Lightfully U provides a convenient alternative.
- It broadens access to care — UC SHIP may not be the best option for everyone. University of California students shouldn’t face limited access to care if they need it. Lightfully U presents students with another option for mental health treatment and broadens access to care.
- It eliminates the need for transportation — Many college students, especially freshmen, don’t have their cars on campus. This makes getting to in-person intensive outpatient programs exceedingly difficult and time consuming. Virtual intensive outpatient programs are a great alternative for students without a reliable transportation source.
Lightfully U can provide a convenient alternative to UC SHIP services
Our mission at Lightfully is to provide compassionate mental health care to various types of clients. We believe in using a focused approach called process-based therapy, with each client’s plan fully customized for their needs. We also use clearly defined, data-driven and whole-person-centered care. Our clinicians have worked with various mental health disorders of all ages. We can provide you with a high-quality alternative to your university’s mental health services so that you can start seeing positive changes to your mental health.
Our Lightfully U program services college students through a Virtual Intensive Outpatient Program (vIOP). It provides students with convenient and flexible access to evidence-based mental health care. Our vIOP provides all the same benefits of a traditional IOP, but with the added comfort of attending sessions from home. Our online program for college students consists of weekly process-based therapy sessions, family therapy sessions, group sessions and experiential activities. Our clients also have access to alumni workshops and resources for additional support. We’re confident that we can help you address any mental health you may have. Our experts will guide you through structured programming designed to treat your mental health disorders and teach you skills to apply to your everyday routine. For college students seeking near-immediate treatment, we can provide same-day Lightfully U admissions.
Change is possible. When you’re ready to take the first step toward a brighter version of yourself, reach out to our Admissions Concierge Team. We’ll take the next steps together toward the fullest, brightest version of you.