Your psychological state can vary from day to day. Sometimes you’re in a good mindset. Other times, you may feel no motivation to complete your daily responsibilities or pursue your interests. If you feel like you’re consistently struggling with your psychological well-being, then it may be time to seek help.
Psychological help refers to treatment and support for your mental health. It can benefit individuals who are struggling with their overall mental well-being as well as mental health disorders. While many people seek help in person at clinical facilities, there are also many ways to receive psychological help online.
Read on to learn about the types of psychological help that are available online as well as how they can help clients.
4 types of online psychological help
Psychological help online is a type of telehealth. It refers to online therapy with a mental health provider or supportive resources. It can provide you with a safe space to talk about your mental health struggles and disorders through a variety of virtual options, such as messaging or virtual conferencing.
There are several types of online psychological help available, and we’re here to help you learn about the most common options so that you can determine which will be the best fit for your needs and mental health disorder symptoms.
Here are four common types of online psychological help:
- Online chats/texts — Sometimes it’s easier to reveal your thoughts and emotions when you’re not looking at another person. People can use texts or online chats to message mental health professionals about the feelings and situations that are impacting their mental health. They can receive real-time psychological support in times of need. If you’re having suicidal thoughts, use the 988 Lifeline Chat and Text by texting 988.
- Support groups — The most important thing to remember when you’re seeking psychological help online is that you’re not alone. There are millions of people around the globe that are struggling with mental health disorders such as depression and anxiety. Online support groups can connect you with peers who can relate to your experiences. They can be active through videoconferences or message boards.
- Virtual outpatient therapy sessions — One of the most common ways to receive psychological help online is through video calls with a therapist. Outpatient therapy refers to weekly or biweekly sessions with a therapist to help you talk through your thoughts and feelings. You can use a webcam to talk to a therapist through your mobile device to help you gain skills and coping mechanisms to improve your mental health.
- Virtual intensive outpatient programs — If you need a higher level of care than can be provided through weekly or biweekly sessions, then virtual intensive outpatient programs may help. This option gives you the opportunity to receive virtual behavioral support while still being able to carry out your work, school and home responsibilities. It’s often used as a transition following high levels of care, such as residential treatment.
How psychological support online can help you
The goal of psychological help is the same for every avenue, whether you’re doing it in person or online. It can help you not only alleviate your mental health disorder symptoms by getting to the root of your distress but also gain the tools and skills needed to reduce your negative thoughts and emotional patterns in the future.
Psychological help online can benefit you by:
- Providing you with an outlet for your distress. It can help you to feel comfortable sharing your thoughts and feelings without the anxiety that can come from an in-person session.
- Offering convenient access to mental health care without having to commute to an outpatient facility.
- Being flexible with your schedule. The elimination of a commute lets you get the care you need on your own terms based around your schedule and particular needs.
Lightfully Behavioral Health offers online psychological help
You do everything online, from paying your bills to buying your groceries. Why not seek out mental health treatment online as well? Lightfully offers psychological help online with our Virtual Intensive Outpatient Program (vIOP). We can provide you with the behavioral health care you need to improve your mental well-being from the convenience and privacy of your home.
Over the course of two weeks in our vIOP, you will participate in programs, virtual sessions with a therapist and group sessions.
Change is possible. When you’re ready to take the first step, reach out to our Admissions Concierge Team. We’ll take the next steps together, toward the fullest, brightest version of you.